Friday 25 November 2016

Lace Snowflakes

I recently discovered I could embroidery lace.  At first, I just couldn't wrap my head around how it worked!  I've done a few designs now and it makes perfect sense... mostly.  I ran across this on the Urban Threads site and figured I'd give it a go!


Here is a video from my IG, it shows the foundation stitches of a snowflake.  It's embroidered on wash-away film that smells just like what it probably is, a film of dried glue!

This is the result, the final snowflake still in the hoop.
The film is clear, it's just sitting on my white worktop.  I used a bit darker of a blue as my background then in the sample, but I'm very happy with it.

I searched around Etsy and ended up finding another pattern that I liked, too.  It's designed with little spaces for crystals, and while I don't have any, I think it still looks great!


I embroidered them both with just poly embroidery thread from ARC, with the same thread in the bobbin.  I used Rinse Away from Sulky and once they were stitched out, just trimmed the stabalizer close and then let them soak in some water until they were 'free'. 

They're a lovely weight, not flimsy at all, and while I did buy some starch to spray them with to stiffen them up to hang as ornaments, I don't think I need to use it!

I have a few other lace designs I hope to try over the next couple of days.  They are time consuming to stitch, although really all there is to do is watch the machine.  They just take longer than average to complete!